Government Makes Rainwater Illegal
Yep, RAIN WATER IS ILLEGAL.
As bizarre as it sounds, I guess it really shouldn’t be a surprise. We have covered numerous stories of how the government has been chipping away at the rights of land. From survival gardens being seized to the land owners in California who are being forced back on to the grid, people’s rights as land owners are being shredded by local, state and federal governments.
In the latest abuse of power, a man in Oregon has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and ordered to pay a $1,500 fine for collecting rainwater on his own land. Gary Harrington was convicted of nine misdemeanor crimes for filling his three man-made reservoirs with rainwater and snow runoff. The state of Oregon claims the water that fell from the sky, is owned by them and the Medford Water Commission.
As unreal as it may sound, at least 9 states have made it illegal to collect rainwater on your own land. Utah, Oregon, Colorado and a number of other states have passed rainwater laws that either limit or all out ban the collection of rainwater.
Fuck what the government says.now it owns rainwater ? Wow looking forward to the day of Reckoning for this one .
This reminds me of a similar situation back in Bolivia in 2000, and resulted in major riots and a mass movement to protest against the corporate ownership of water. When a private foreign company came to Bolivia, they seized control of local water sources and increased taxes that most Bolivians could not afford to pay, so then Bolivians built their own water wells to collect RAINWATER, which were then seized by the foreign corporation!
Nobody should stand by and allow this to happen… but the U.S media doesn’t care, they won’t talk about it, and people will remain clueless.
and right now we have a bit of a water shortage in oregon.
i will say this: the fire to react to each and every little thing cools as i age, but nothing has begun to inflame me like the way corporations and judges are snakily inserting themselves into a paradise convened by humans with mother earth; rights which can NEVER truly be superseded by another human, no matter how many paid guns they have, no matter how many corrupt pens in motion. nobody has the rights to tell you that you can not grow food on the soil that supports you. no corporation owns the seeds of this planet. nobody has the right to command you not drink water from the heavens. these are men with puny hearts and dull minds to even dream so far beyond their own power and position.this would be devastating for Haitians…..but then i know this could happen… some renewable technology would not be allowed here because the US gov said so… and powerful interest said so. the world upside down..
Why on earth is it illegal? Do y’all have a problem with dengue or malaria or something? (That is the case in Malaysia anyway; that’s why ppl who collect rainwater are also responsible for making sure mosquitoes don’t breed in it, otherwise you get a fine.)
bcuz esp in cali, there are massive water shortages. and there’s all sorts of politics with water sources being redirected and cut off and damned etc—this is why the Great Lakes (which surround Michigan) are under such fucking pressure right now—cuz fresh water that is not polluted to the point of undrinkability is THE resource—it’s been called the modern gold rush. all those places out west in the US where you see major cities and green grass and even farms? a huge population of them were built/grown on *desert* using water that was damned or redirected or whatever.
so lots of these cities/farms/etc rely on keeping their streams/rivers/damns/etc plentiful from rainwater—either the rainwater that goes into the river directly or that gets directed into the water through groundwater. if *every*body starts collecting their own rainwater? then guess who can’t keep their lawns green in a desert? or water their industrial farm’s monocrop?
Okay, but actually, this guy in Oregon: he built enormous reservoirs to hoard millions of gallons of water that needed to go into the watershed—a really contentious watershed where there are huge and longstanding (bitter!) disputes over water rights between farmers, fishermen, and Native communities. Even in southern Oregon there are water shortages. This wasn’t just an issue of The Man coming down on some guy with some rain barrels, this was a white dude in an area full of white-supremacist survivalist compounds, up- and downriver from Native people with disputed water rights, building himself a private lake and hoarding ridiculously enormous quantities of water while salmon runs and farms are going dry.
- girlbehindtheglasses21 likes this
- celestethebest reblogged this from lavenderpenny
- krimija likes this
- wu-wei-clan likes this
- etincelleux reblogged this from susurrations
- bacolod likes this
- cuntstruck likes this
- susurrations reblogged this from renleighthegirlking
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- true-stories-never-end likes this
- awaveunfurled likes this
- galesofnovember likes this
- jojosioth likes this
- alicemari reblogged this from wishingformemoria
- alicemari likes this
- sithisit reblogged this from wishingformemoria
- sithisit likes this
- wishingformemoria reblogged this from rutilation
- rutilation reblogged this from sxizzor
- thunderspooky likes this
- moon-bugg likes this
- thatgreenevening reblogged this from dignified-and-old and added:
- clawfoottub likes this
- scripturespice likes this
- gynocieum likes this
- dignified-and-old reblogged this from gynocieum and added:
- gynocieum reblogged this from viscountessjulia and added:
- x-mellifluous likes this
- kiwiitrombone reblogged this from korean-dono
- korean-dono reblogged this from 8-bit-broken-record
- viscountessjulia reblogged this from sxizzor and added:
- sxizzor reblogged this from kforshort
- 8-bit-broken-record reblogged this from kforshort
- kforshort reblogged this from moniquill
- smittened reblogged this from moniquill
- a-poets-corner-of-a-room likes this
- fractostratus likes this
- lattaite likes this
- apalaceforjasmine likes this
- julieschweikert reblogged this from it-was-only-a-kiss-but-this
- rowansr reblogged this from shorm
- rowansr likes this
- flammableskirts likes this
- psygy likes this
- theussenterprisencc1701 likes this
- orian52 reblogged this from pancakesflavoredmaplesyrup
- fanonurl reblogged this from pancakesflavoredmaplesyrup
- pancakesflavoredmaplesyrup reblogged this from shorm
- fangirld likes this
- shorm reblogged this from moniquill